Heritage Rose growing in my Garden.


"Won't you come into my garden? I would like my roses to meet you!"

Sunday, April 25, 2010

F.J. Lindheimer Rose

F.J. Lindheimer Rose, named after a German botanist in the 1800's who lived in Texas.
With the cool weather (high in the 70's but lows in 40's) this rose is yellow/peachy orange.
When it gets hot, it will be a pale apricot.
It is planted in the front facing east and is in the shade in the afternoon.
I love this rose.  It was an impulse purchase. The rose was so pretty, smelled good and I liked that it was an old Pioneer rose. It makes a pretty cut flower too. I tend to lean toward Antique roses that are not fussy (my hope anyway).  It grows about 4 feet upright and not bushy so it fits nicely in my front garden.  Always in bloom and bugs don't seem to like it.  I could have called it "Dependable and Pretty". 
Hurricane Gustav in 2008 blew it right over, uprooting it and I thought I was going to lose it.  It struggled through last summer but this spring is blooming like old times.
Don't you love a happy ending!!?

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful rose (which are my favorite flower by the way!) I am so glad it survived the hurricane!

    We woke up to more snow today and am hoping the plants I left outside to plant are going to be able to shake it off and be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeannie. I am so glad your rose came back. It is so pretty. I love the peachy orange color. Too cold here for your beauty. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete

"Gracious words are like a honeycomb,
sweetness to the soul and health to the body." Proverbs 16:24